GW released a bombshell of new FAQs today, covering errata for the core book and lengthy FAQs for each faction. And as always, we’ve got you covered with the rundown of what’s changed and what it means for your games. In this series of Hot Take articles, we’ll be covering the changes and our initial reactions to them but for more detailed analysis, check back over the next two weeks as we dive deeper into how these changes affect the game and its factions.
The children of Alarielle are lumbering in to 3.0, and the light touch of this FAQ, put plainly, does little to address the outlook of this army. Sylvaneth have struggled in 2.0 to find any meaningful competitive purchase, and they remain one of the most expensive (monetarily) armies in the game to play.
That said, let’s see what highlights are in the FAQ before the leaves change color.
- Not much. Like, no jokes, there really isn’t anything great going on here. In fact, a lot of this FAQ is just changing rules to apply to the new wording without really changing how stuff works. Sorry tree lovers.
- Treelords buff is slightly better – Now it’s +1 to save instead of reroll 1s which statistically is slightly better. It’s another unit to slap a +1 while another gets mystic shield so it could be worse. The Arch-Revenant got a similar change with his shield
- None of these FAQs help this army. Almost nothing here is a buff or even moderately helpful, which is maybe too much to expect from an FAQ, but this is one of the most anemic FAQs of the bunch.
- Kurnoth Hunters are squishier – Planting roots is now +1 to saves instead of rerolling all saves. +1 is better than reroll 1s, but reroll all? Statistically worse. One of your best units, they didn’t deserve this.
- Endless Spell changes aren’t worth the price hikes. These spells all doubled in cost while getting very little meaningful change to how they operate. Yikes.
- Wyldwoods changed Again They got changed in Broken Realms: Kragnos and not even 6 months later they were changed yet again. In short, line of sight blocking goes, the Mortal wounds when a spell is cast nearby and an enemy ends a charge near it stays. Navigate realmroots has been pushed onto the warscroll rather than a faction ability for some reason. It’s not the worst change just…baffling.
Sylvaneth were already a weak army in the AoS Meta, and an expensive one to buy into as well. This FAQ does little to make the army more attractive or reasonable to purchase, and their biggest gimmick, the Wyldwoods, feel like even more a bad deal now. Hopefully a new rework of the Sylvaneth down the line will help them out, but for now, 3.0 isn’t looking very green for the treefolk.
If you have any questions or comments please post them below or email us at email@example.com.