The Week Ending February 29th, 2020
Although it’s a big internet out there, the Warhammer digital universe is pretty small and spread out. In Content We Liked, we take a look at the articles, videos, podcasts, and products that caught our eyes or were noteworthy during the prior week you might have missed. Here’s what we liked this week:
In the Wild:
- The 40KToday Podcast
A brand-new daily 40k podcast that covers key topics in 15-minute chunks every day. It’s competitive-focused and a great way to stay up-to-date on the major movements in the meta and gaming trends. Be sure to check out Thursday’s episode, where the hosts interview our own Greg “ANAmal.net” Chiasson, and are forced to say “buttscribe” on air a dozen times.
- 3DPrintedMadness’ Transonic Blade
3DPrintedMadness via the r/Warhammer40k subreddit
Most 3D printing we see focuses on add-on bits for minis, so it’s cool to see someone take on a larger project like this. Also, swords are cool.
- Baroness Garuhae, Marooner of Limbs
Raddicool via the r/Drukhari subreddit
This is an excellent archon kitbash using Warcry kits to make something truly terrifying. And “The Marooner of Limbs” is such a wonderfully hardcore name.
- Corien Sumatris Conversion
@Mengelminis via Twitter
A great conversion to represent the Astral Claws’ second company captain, Corien Sumatris .
- SRM’s Sick Musclewizard
@brotherSRM via Twitter
SRM is working on a sweet evil musclewizard for his Slaves to Darkness and we’re excited to see the final product.
- Nicolab: The Activation Wars Part 2
Part 2 of Nico Narwhal’s excellent breakdown of the AoS combat phase and in this part covers activations.
- Corpse Grinder Conversion
Ayamarimakuro via the r/minipainting subreddit
This conversion is just wonderfully gross and macabre in the best ways and fantastic inspiration for anyone wanting to build their own Corpse Grinder terrain. Who’s hungry for some corpse starch?
- Playing with depth on large flyer bases
DatXDiver via the r/Warhammer40k subreddit
This is a really cool idea for making your flyers stand out on the tabletop, and it gives the model a great diorama-like feel.
- Just an insanely cool jungle table
@tabletopgeneral via Instagram
This is a beautiful jungle table and the amount of detail that went into it is just amazing.
- Chamonkee draws some cool 40k characters
@chamonkee via Twitter
Some really cool character drawings from a 40k tabletop rpg campaign.
Another busy week on Goonhammer, with a ton of hot takes and major FAQs completely upending our content plans at the end of the week.
- The Narrative Forge: Battles of Legend
In the first part of this multi-part series, Lupe looked at how you can recreate the major battles of Age of Sigmar/Horus Heresy/40k lore in your own games, while still having a fun time.
- Hot Take Thursday/Friday/Saturday
So many big FAQs/rules changes hit on Thursday and Friday, we were rushing to catch up. Here’s a quick rundown of all of it:
- Hammer of Math – Big Game Hunter
By Kevin Genson
This week Hammer of Math looked into the math behind the Grey Knights’ psychic prowess and just how deadly they can be when they put their minds to it.
- Necromunday – House of Chains Review
By Dan Boyd and Jules O’Hare
Dan and Jules dive deep into the new House of Chains book and fall in love with its content.
- Warlord Wednesdays – Legio Tempestus “Stormlords”
By Garrett Severson and Soggy
Warlord Wednesdays continues with a look at Legio Tempestus.
- Tilting at Demons Part 3
Daniel “Skails” Rodenberg continues his quest for Golden Demon glory, and walks us through more of the process on the model he’s working on, which looks amazing so far.
- Tournament Content!
We covered a lot of good tournament content this week, as usual:
- Shane Watts wrote about his experiences piloting a Grey Knights list to a 3-2 finish at Coastal Wargaming’s The Reckoning 5-round GT.
- Wings wrote about the North East Open GT, looking at three cool lists from the event and talking about the current meta.
- Warp Storm GT Winner Stephen Box of Vanguard Tactics sat down for an interview with Goonhammer to talk about his Blood Angels.
- How to Paint Everything: Adeptus Custodes
Our ongoing series on how to paint literally everything continues, with a look at how to paint the boys in gold this week, with content from Crab-stuffed mushrooms, Booley, Lupe, Silks, and Felime.
- Boardhammer: Spirit Island Review
Chucat talks about a game he loves, Spirit Island, which if you think about it is kind of like an opposite version of Settlers of Catan.
- Ironjawz White Dwarf Warscroll Battalions: Analysis & Review
By Mike Chadderton
Mike takes a look at some new rules for AoS published in White Dwarf aimed at people who like really big Orks.
- The Fabricator General: What to do when the Emperor Doesn’t Provide
By David Gordon
David started a multi-part series this week looking at the process of designing, printing, and finishing your own custom gaming accessories.