Hi again, everyone! A few weeks ago, we announced the Goonhammer Annual Painting Contest: Lockdown Edition and said that we’d be back around mid-May (we love our ides here at Goonhammer) to provide more details and official entry terms. Well as promised, we’re back with those terms!
There are five categories for contest entry:
- Best Sci-fi Single Miniature
- Best Sci-fi Squad
- Best Fantasy Single Miniature
- Best Fantasy Squad (or fellowship or whatever)
- Open Category
Best Sci-fi Single Miniature
The best single miniature in the sci-fi category, covering miniatures from games like Warhammer 40,000, Infinity, and so on. This will also include super heroes from games like Marvel: Crisis Protocol. Miniatures must be on a base and no taller than 12″. Basically, we don’t want titans in this category.
Best Sci-fi Squad
The best team of models in the sci-fi category, however the game they’re from defines them or just however makes sense visually. If you want to do like, the entire Justice League from the DC Universe Miniatures Game the sure, go for it. Squads must be a minimum of three models and may be no more than 30 in size.
Best Fantasy Single Miniature
The best single miniature in the fantasy category, covering miniatures from games like Warhammer Age of Sigmar, Lord of the Rings, Kings of War, and so on. Obviously some properties blur the lines between sci-fi and fantasy, so if you’re not sure then ask but we’re also open to just calling a thing whatever you submit it as. Submissions must be on a base and no taller than 12″.
Best Fantasy Squad
The best team or regiment of models in the fantasy category, however the game they’re from defines them or just however makes sense visually. Squads must be a minimum of three models and may be no more than 30 in size. For ranked units, unit fillers count as whatever size of models they’re replacing, e.g. if you include a unit filler that takes up the space of 3 models, it counts as 3 models.
The Open Category
Anything goes in this category. Submit a diorama, your hand-crafted titan, or whatever other nonsense you’ve been working on that looks beautiful. This is also the only category that regular Goonhammer contributors or members or their immediate families are allowed to enter (a regular contributor is someone who submits one or more articles per month, or has been listed as an author on five or more articles in the last six months).
How Does Judging Work?
Submissions for each category will be judged by a Goonhammer panel of judges (judges to be announced next week) and narrowed down to a top 8 submissions. The top 8 will then be voted on by Goonhammer readers, with the Readers’ Choice winner being the submission who received the most votes, followed by a Judges’ Choice winner picked by the judges.
What Are the Prizes?
Wow, someone’s getting cocky. I like your attitude! We’ll be awarding two prizes in each category, except for the Open Category, which will only have a Readers’ Choice prize:
- Readers’ Choice: A $100 gift card/certificate to the local game store of your choosing (or, if you have no FLGS, Games Workshop or another comparable entity), OR a donation in your name to the charity of your choice. In addition, the Readers’ Choice winner in the Open Category will receive a Mega Paint Set from The Army Painter (estimated retail value $135.00), while the winners in each other category will receive an Army Painter Wet Palette (estimated retail value $24.99). Plus a Goonhammer T-shirt.
- Judges’ Choice: A $100 gift card/certificate to the local game store of your choosing (or, if you have no FLGS, Games Workshop or another comparable entity), OR a donation in your name to the charity of your choice. Plus a Goonhammer T-shirt.
Additionally we’ll be picking out a bunch of Honorable Mentions and posting them on the site. There’s no prize for being mentioned honorably.
All prizes are valued in US Dollars, but will be purchased in local currency based on exchange rates at the time.
Eligibility Information and Other Important Details
- You have to be 18 to enter.
- Contest prizes have no cash value and may not be returned, refunded, or exchanged.
- You have to have painted the entry yourself.
- This contest is open to residents of the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia, France, Germany, Japan, Netherlands, New Zealand, Spain, Mexico, and Canada, with the exception of Quebec.
- Contest judges and their immediate family members are prohibited from entry.
- No purchase of any kind is necessary for entry.
- An entry may only be submitted for consideration in a single category. If you submit an entry to multiple categories, we will ask you to choose which you want to enter it in. If you don’t choose, we will choose for you.
- By submitting any entry to this competition, you agree that Goonhammer may, but is not required to, display your entry on the website or any other media in connection with this competition. You agree to grant Goonhammer an irrevocable non-exclusive license to use, display, publish, transmit, copy, edit, alter, store, re-format, and sub-license any image submitted as an entry to this competition.
- Winners will be notified via email within 15 days of the contest ending, at which point they’ll have 14 days to claim the prize by responding. Otherwise the prize will be awarded to the next-highest finisher.
- Winners will be asked via email to identify a hobby retailer of their choice for the gift card/voucher purchase. If that retailer cannot be reached or does not offer vouchers, they’ll be asked to choose a second retailer. if that retailer also cannot be reached or does not offer vouchers, they’ll be given the choice of a $100 Games Workshop webstore voucher or a donation to the charity of their choice in their name.
- Goonhammer will only gather the following personal information at the time of entry:
- email address used for entry submission.
- name supplied for image crediting.
- This information is the minimum required to conduct the competition. By sending us an entry, you consent to us gathering and retaining this information. Winners will be contacted via the supplied email address to organise delivery of prizes. If the winner wishes, it will be possible to receive the prize as a GW digital gift voucher via email with no further information supplied.
- To be eligible, entries must be received no later than 11:59 PM PDT July 31st, 2020.
- Goonhammer reserves the right to cancel or amend the competition and these terms and conditions without notice in the event of a catastrophe, war, civil or military disturbance, act of God or any actual or anticipated breach of any applicable law or regulation or any other event outside of the promoter’s control. Any changes to the competition will be disseminated as soon as possible by updating this page.
- If for any reason a winner is precluded from receiving or possessing any prize by the law of the winner’s country of residence, the winner will be ineligible to receive the prize.
- We reserve the right to disqualify any entry in our sole discretion without notice.
How Do I Enter?
To enter the contest, send a photo of a model you painted after March 15th, 2020 (we have no way to verify this but like, be cool) to email@example.com along with the name you’d like to be credited with (you need not use your full name but your submitted name may not be a URL) and the category in which you wish it to be entered.
We look forward to seeing your entries. If you have any questions or feedback, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.